Thursday, October 21, 2010

Word of the Day Wednesday

It's that time again! Technically, it's a bit past Wednesday, but you'll forgive me, won't you? 


Without further adieu, today's word of the day is "milquetoast." 


milque·toast

  
[milk-tohst] 
–noun sometimes initial capital letter )
a very timid, unassertive, spineless person, esp. one who is easilydominated or intimidated: a milquetoast who's afraid to ask for raise.
Origin: 
1935–40, Americanism  after Caspar Milquetoast,  a character inThe Timid Soul,  comic strip by H. T. Webster (1885–1952),American cartoonist

Me gusta this word mucho! It is in the forefront of my mind today, after some unfortunate dealings with people who think all Christians are illogical sheep. Alas, that's another topic for a whole other (or many other) blog posts! 

This word is wonderful because it's like a word picture. Just imagine milky toast: bland, unappetizing, wavering, floppy.  

I pride myself on not being milquetoast, even if that means voluntarily jumping into the lions' den every now and then to defend my faith ... Can you tell what I really want to blog about? It's too late and I'm too tired to conquer that territory, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow or the next day, or the next time I get peeved at someone who tries to bait me into a cyber argument. 

I leave you with a cartoon of Caspar Milquetoast, the character after which the word was derived. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment