Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Word of the Day Wednesday

Word of the Day Wednesdays is a new funky little feature for your Wednesday enjoyment. Being the English nerd that I am, I love learning words, using words, and sharing words. Let me clarify that I do not like having words with people; that is no fun. 


Without further ado, today's word of the day is verbose.




ver·bose

  

[ver-bohs]
–adjective
characterized by the use of many or too many words; wordy: verbose report.


Origin: 
1665–75;  < L verbōsus,  equiv. to verb um word  + -ōsus -ose1

ver·bose·ly, adverb
ver·bose·ness, noun
un·ver·bose, adjective
un·ver·bose·ly, adverb
un·ver·bose·ness, noun


prolix; tedious, inflated, turgid; voluble, talkative, loquacious. See bombastic. 

laconic. 

I love this word. I find it's rather fitting for the first Word of the Day Wednesday because it's all about words. I love the way it sounds as it rolls off your tongue. 

I've included related forms for usage, as well as the etymology because that is one of my very favorite things about words. I had an amazing etymology professor in college who (God rest her soul) was the most passionate person I had ever met when it came to words. She made the subject come to life and I learned SO much from her. I want her kind of passion to ooze from my being when I'm talking about something that I love. 

I hope you do enjoy this new feature and are able to add some new words to your vocabulary. If you're truly nerdy like me, you'll feel like a big shot when I choose a word that you already know. ;) ¡Viva palabras! 

P.S. If you want to revel in pure, unabashed nerdiness, you can sign up for Dictionary.com's Word of the Day and get a new word EVERY day via email. Here's the linky if you're up to the challenge: http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday

God bless,
Miss K


No comments:

Post a Comment