Tuesday, December 7, 2010

31 Days of Joy ~ Day 7

As Mary says on Jack's Big Music Show, "What a day!" Today was eventful and fun. It moved so quickly I almost forgot to stop this evening and post my joyful item. :)


Today, the thing that brought me joy was having a full house. Our moms' group had a playdate today at our home. We had four mommies and seven children hanging out in our modest house, so it was a bit noisy, but the kiddos were all pretty good. 


In my old age, I've come to realize that I love to entertain. I would've never thought this about myself. I thoroughly enjoy inviting people over, cooking and baking all kinds of goodies (because what's a party without food, right?), and hearing the sounds of life in my house. 


I think it's comfortable for me because it reminds me of my family. Growing up, we always had dinner together, around the table, as a family. Many of my fondest memories are from these mealtimes, where I was typically trying to gross my dad out by insinuating that I had touched his food (germaphobes don't like this apparently) and we were often laughing and carrying on like a bunch of jackals. It was loud, and oftentimes disorderly, and it was wonderful. 


You're likely to get this same type of scenario if you eat dinner at our house now. The old man and I are both pretty boisterous, and the little whippersnapper's got a set of lungs on him, too. We can't help it. I don't think we own "inside voices." We operate on "playground voices" much of the time, and if distance or TV volume necessitate, we turn the dial up to "ballgame voices." What? You don't know what "ballgame voices" are? Sure you do. It's the voice your dad/grandpa/son/husband uses when he yells at the TV during a ballgame. Hence, "ballgame voices." I have to be careful not to use my ballgame voice when the front door is open for fear of scaring the neighbors. We have scared visiting babies in our own home with our level of noise. Some find it unsettling; I find it endearing.


When there are more bodies and voices in my home, there is more noise. It's comforting, like a good old pair of sweats. Some of my best times have been huddled around the kitchen island sharing laughs and stories. Now that we're in the parent trap, the noise level has increased and morphed. It's so much better. We have big people laughs and little people laughs, and what's better than a little person's laugh? Honestly. It's like the gift that keeps on giving. 


So, as much as the Martha in me stresses about the house not being ready for company or the amount of food not being sufficient, I snap right out of it the first time that doorbell rings. When our door opens to the smiles of friends, it's a gentle reminder of what's important in life. 


Thank you, Lord, for blessing us with a home to entertain in, sufficient nourishment, and friends and family to share in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment