Wednesday, December 1, 2010

31 Days of Joy

I don't know about you, but I often get bogged down at this time of year with my to-do list, Christmas gift list, party-planning list, etc. So many lists and so little time. 


With that said, I'm giving myself a challenge for the month of December. I'm going to focus on sharing one thing that brings me joy every day for the entire month. Why is this a challenge? Two reasons: the aforementioned boggeddownedness (yes, I made that word up) and the idea that I can commit to posting on my blog every single day for an entire month.


The Lord gave me an epiphany the other day about perspective. As I was becoming harried at the thought of the inevitable time crunch I am coming under with Christms, travel, parties, gifts, and all, I was reminded of a verse of one of my favorite Christmas songs that has touched me this year like it never has. The song is "Do They Know It's Christmas Time" from Band Aid in 1984. The verse is:


The greatest gift they'll get this year is life

If you're unfamiliar with the song, it's basically about how fortunate we are and how important it is to remember those who are in need at this time of year. I've always loved this song, but this year, it's really hit me hard that we are so very fortunate to live in America and to have a roof over our heads, warmth, clothing, and water, among a multitude of other things. There are so many in this world without these very basic needs, and we take them for granted so often. We have life, and life is a gift from God.

So, I'm going to cast off the old robe of busyness and hurriedness I usually don this time of year, and take it slow, day by day, recognizing all the joy that the Lord has given me in my life.

Feel free to join in and spread the joy around. We could always use more joy. It doesn't have to be anything big; it just needs to be something that touches your heart. Just let me know if you do join in, so I can be blessed by your joyfulness as well. :)

So, for December 1, the thing that brings me joy is: life. This is the eve of my 34th birthday, and I'm overjoyed with my life. It is everything I wanted it to be and never expected. It truly is a gift. 

*Bonus*
I've thrown in the video for "Do They Know It's Christmas Time" in case you are unaware of the song or would just love to see some seriously 80s footage. ;)



Read

Do They Know It's Christmas Time Lyrics

here.

No comments:

Post a Comment