Wednesday, July 7, 2010

No me gusta earthquakes

Translated: I do not like earthquakes. I actual abhor them. I am such a paranoid person by nature, and earthquakes only serve to remind me that I really have no idea what's actually ever going on in this crazy world of ours, and that I have absolutely NO control. 


We had a jolting little shaker late this afternoon, and it was enough to get my heart rate to aerobic speed in a matter of milliseconds. Take that, Denise Austin! Before I knew it, I had my kid in arms and was rushing to the bathroom doorway faster than Harry in Dumb and Dumber! Meanwhile, my husband is in the living room gently telling me that the pool water is moving a bit. Who cares? All I can think about is the beautiful boy in my arms and how quickly life can change in the blink of an eye. 


Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm a bit on the dramatic side, and everyone who knows me can attest to it. It really wasn't a big quake, and most people were bored, or dare I say it, entertained by it. Who are these crazies? I digress ...


The earthquake did remind me of two very important principles though, for which I am grateful. The first one being that God is in control. He knows everything that's going on, and he is watching over us. He is protecting us and will not give us more than we can handle. Try as I may, I cannot control the universe any more than I can ride a unicycle. It's just not possible. I am reminded of God's bigness and His power through events like this. His control and power are comforting; I rest easily in this reminder. 


The second reminder is that life is precious. As I sat there afterward, watching the news recap, I had my son on my lap. He was eating a cereal bar, totally unaware that anything had happened. He actually chuckled when I swept him up and took off sprinting down the hallway. I guess he thought it was a game. What a blessing childhood innocence is! I looked down at him and realized that I do not know how long I have with my boy. Tears well up in my eyes as I even write this. I don't know the number of his days or mine, so I must do my best to cherish each and every one of them. Every day, every hour, every second, for tomorrow is not promised. 


I instantly forgot how frustrated I was with him just a few short hours ago because he refused to take a nap so I could work on our bills. I felt so guilty for that frustration because he is the sweetest diversion in my life, and if he takes more attention than the house, the bills, the chores, so be it. I am his mom, and raising him is my job. Sure, I will have to do all those other things, but he comes first. I need to be in every moment, listening, caring, loving, nurturing, guiding, teaching, leading, exemplifying, and edifying. These important traits are all too often lost on my eternal to-do list. 


What would I do if my heavenly Father replied to any of my numerous queries with, "Not now, my child, I'm busy with something else"? I would be hurt; perhaps I'd feel alone. I don't want my child to feel that way. I want him to know I'm always here for him to count on. I want to be present in every moment.


I'm thanking God right now for His reminder to be present and alert. I needed it.

1 comment:

  1. God is good, isn't He? And yes....life is precious. So very precious...

    Ps--send me your email addy! :)

    ReplyDelete