Thursday, October 6, 2011

31 Days of Natural Nutrition: Day 6 ~ Spaghetti squash

It's Day 6 and things are looking up. This post will be short and sweet, as I'm posting from my iPad since I'm actually in bed before midnight!

Today was filled with much healthier choices and feeling better overall. My nutritional share for today is spaghetti squash. It's one of our favorites and oh so easy to prepare. If you haven't tried it, don't be apprehensive. Grab one next time you're at the farmer's market or grocery.

We use spaghetti squash as a substitute for the pasta in our spaghetti dinner. It's so good, with the only difference being a consistency issue. When I first made it, I cringed upon serving it to my husband because he loves his pasta. Much to my surprise, he prefers the spaghetti squash over the spaghetti noodles. Score!

Here's what to do with the spaghetti squash. Cut it in half and scrape out all the seeds and "guts" as we'd call them. Then flip both halves over in a baking dish and poke the rind of each half several times with a fork. Throw the dish in an oven preheated to 350 for 30-40 minutes or until done. When the squash is done, you just have to hold each side up and scrape the inside out with a fork. The inside comes out in strands, resembling spaghetti. If you have older kids, they'll probably fancy this pretty cool. My three year old just runs!

Toss some squash on a plate and top with spaghetti sauce with meat or marinara for a vegetarian option. It tastes fabulous and is truly healthy! No need to hit the couch afterward due to a carb overload!

Paired with some wine and candlelight, this is a perfect in-home date with your spouse. Molto bene!

No comments:

Post a Comment