Sunday, October 2, 2011

31 Days of Natural Nutrition: Day 2 ~ Fun Food Finds



I'm totally stoked and ready to devote this month to natural nutrition! I can't think of a more basic place to start when talking about our health and how best to take care of ourselves. 


I thought I'd start off by sharing a few of the foods we've discovered in our house via our wonderful organic produce co-op. 


*Please don't snicker if these foods are totally obvious to you. We come from limited produce backgrounds in our home. ;) * 


Here are my fun food finds of late (just typing those three Fs made me giddy):


DATES!!! (I'm not a three exclamation point girl. Much like one of Elaine's boyfriends in "Seinfeld," I am a strict one exclamation point kind of gal, but I'm that excited about dates that it necessitates three.) Two words on dates: nature's candy. For rizzy. I'd never tried them before this year and I'm in L-O-V-E. Just send me a red hat and a purple boa because I'm officially an old lady. 




Eggplant is one of our new favorites around this hizzy. Its gorgeous deep purple hue and shiny skin are the purest form of beauty. We do Eggplant Parmesan at least once every couple weeks. If you've never tried it, it's relatively easy and will be voraciously consumed by the most finicky child with nary the blink of an eye (I know from experience).  Now that the old eggplant and I are friends, I'm looking to branch out to some more exciting recipes with it. Hint: send good eggplant recipes my way. This sounds to-die-for amazing and easy.


Patty pan squash is my new personal favorite. Its UFO shape and exquisite taste are other-worldly. I'm quickly learning that I'm a lover of all things squash, but this one might just be at the top of my list. So far, I've kept it simple and just cut up the patty pans and roasted them in the oven with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Talk about yum! Because of their thicker skin, they keep their firmness a little better than other types of squash, which I prefer. My next endeavor with patty pan squash will be to stuff them with some kind of ooey gooey goodness such as this. Stay tuned ... 



If you haven't had the pleasure of trying any of these foods, get yourself some! I'm a food lover; I promise I won't steer you wrong. Nature's delicacies are too good to miss. Enjoy!

God bless,

Miss K

No comments:

Post a Comment